Over the course of the last year I have been acquiring tools here and there so I can be self sufficient in small scale production. The bare minimum I need for swift assembly is a brad nail gun. I elected to buy an air powered model and a compressor as this came with a selection of tools that will be of use later (spray gun for painting the inside of the enclosure and air nozzle for removing sawdust from the work piece). I also have a sliding compound mitre saw which allows me to make square cuts for jig making cutting picture frame infills to size once cabs have been assembled and other general wood working tasks.
I’ve asked for assistance from Matamp in cutting boards but due to the small workforce and large amount of orders recently it has been difficult to fit in. To circumvent this I have approached the college construction department and they have been kind enough to oblige.
Recently I ordered three sheets of far eastern poplar ply. On arrival it turned out to be of lower quality than the Italian made product. For this purpose it is however fine. Ray the tech in the construction building ripped them into flat packs for two greenboy 15″ subs and all the woodwork for a Matamp S2000 head and cab.
The latter cabinet is what will feature in this post. I have had recent instruction on assembling Matamp boxes which enables me to push forward at home. As I have minimal tools and no jigs at home this will prove to be a very useful exercise. I have the ability to create straight, square cuts.
In order to ensure flush fitting of the Back panel and the baffle I have manufactured jigs to properly space the beading from the edges of the cabinet. Unfortunately my phone had run out of battery in the window of time I had to fulfil this task. There’s more to make though so there’ll no doubt be method pictures elsewhere in this blog.
As for cutting the handles on the side of the box I will utilise the method I saw Jeff use to create the handle holes on the Greenboy 15/6 seen in the build diary in this blog. Sadly it appears that I did not manage to document the process but it is straight forward and will be demonstrated in this blog post. To summarise, it requires the handles to be marked out on the side of the board prior to assembly and along the marked lines small off cuts with straight edges can be temporarily nailed to provide a guide for a flush cut router bit with a guide bearing. This way I can perform this operation at home.
Likewise cutting the baffle to accommodate the drivers will be a new challenge. Circle cutting jigs for routers are easy to make and could consist of some of my stock of mdf and a nail as a low tech solution. See video below for tutorial. Luckily I have a Series 2000 anniversary 2×12 that I can derive the handle measurements from. There is a slight problem in that the originals and the limited run of anniversary cabinets were made of chipboard and the back panel of mine has swelled fast and cannot be removed. If subsequent efforts to release it fail I shall use the factory jigs for the baffle and back panel. I will have used the circle cutter for the Greenboy subs in any case and it will be documented in that build diary.
More to follow.